That’s how many Valentine’s Days BBH & I have spent together.
But most of them were not. And that’s okay. After 20 years together, romance comes and goes. It’s the day after day, week after week – that turns into year after year – that really matters.
What’s more romantic than that?
Before I start my list, I’ll share with you a little info:
He doesn’t really read my posts.
Oh, he looks at each and every one – but he’s looking at the pictures mostly.
So while it might seem weird that I’m writing a love post about a man who doesn’t read my blog, somehow it’s fitting for us.
And now, my list – 20 reasons I love my valentine, for the 20 years we’ve shared.
1. He has the most fantastic laugh. It’s one of those infectious ones. You know, when you have no idea why he’s laughing, but you just hear it and start laughing too?
Just don’t go to a movie with BBH. You’ll never hear the punchline because his laugh is LOUD!
2. He’s a great cook. Not just great. Really, really, really great. There’s a smell that permeates the house when he cooks.
The 1st time he taught me how to bake a chicken (over the phone) after 30 minutes in the oven, I ran and grabbed Son #2. “It smells just like Daddy’s!”
You have to be kitchen-impaired to fully appreciate this.
3. He believes in me when I don’t believe in myself.
4. He’s a huge bear.
Sometimes a teddy bear. Sometimes a grizzly.
Mostly the teddy-type.
5. He has the patience of Job. With me. With his mother. OMG, his mother! Nope – I won’t go there today. Take my word for it, he is a very. patient. man.
6. He has a beautiful voice. He really should be a professional singer.
I’ve heard him perform twice. The 1st time was at his company Christmas party with around 300 people. They were all eating and talking when BBH started singing. You could see them elbowing each other in amazement when they realized that the sweet melodic tones were coming out of their huge friend on stage.
7. He’s the person everyone calls when they need a hand. And he’s always, always, there to help. Even when no one else is. BBH is there.
8. He was both mother & father to his kids. That is, until he met me . The kids were 7, 10, & 12 when we met. When they were babies, he was both.
9. He allowed me to be a mother to his kids. This is ha-uge! Not for most men, but for a man who was Mama to his boys? Big-time huge! He let me find my way and stayed out of my way (for the most part).
10. He gave me a family.
When you can’t have your own babies, the longing never goes away. Ever. But having your own readymade family sure fills up part of that void.
11. He can figure anything out. I’ve seen it.
This is one of those good thing/bad things because I’ve gotten to where I rely on him a bit too much when I can’t figure something out.
12. He’s a wonderful listener. But he’s been really happy since I started blogging.
13. He’s incredibly patient. He has to be. Lord knows, I’ve tried every his last nerve thru the years..
14. He’s not afraid to show his feminine side. Maybe when you’re a 6’4” tall man, it’s a little easier.
I dunno. But I haven’t met anyone crazy enough to challenge him. Well, except his mother.
Nope – not going there.
15. The most important people in his life are his family. We’ve hosted the family reunion for the past 7 years. I’ve never seen him happier than when he’s surrounded by family.
16. Unless it’s with his grandson. The love is nearly palpable when they’re together.
17. He stretches me.
Get your mind outta the gutter, Ladies. I meant, he stretches me as a person, an artist.
18. Ok, back in the gutter for a sec, he’s a boob-man.
If you have a shape like me, that’s a good thing. And a really, really good thing he’s not a butt or legs (the horror!) man.
19. He’s unbelievably, even eerily intuitive. Okay, psychic. Seriously! He can tell if one of the boys is in trouble before the phone rings. Same with other people he cares about. He just knows.
20. We share the same spiritual beliefs. I don’t know how a relationship could survive 20 years and 3 kids if you don’t.
It’s been our common thread, the bind that ties us together – our faith, our beliefs.
How many years have you been with your valentine? Ok, if you’re a newbie, how many months?
Wanna play along? Make a list, based on how many years, of why you love your valentine.
Happy Valentine’s Day!!!