I didn’t get a chance to finish this Saturday, but thought I’d go ahead and post it anyway. I’ll finish it up later this week.
The mural is for two pretty sisters – 4 & 5 years old – who share this wonderful girly-girl lavender room.
I’ll take pictures of the whole room later because it is just so cute. These are the two walls I’m working on. Note the hobby horse – no wonder the girls wanted a horse mural! I’m also noticing their bull dog popped his head up for the picture.
Once I saw the space, each girl chose their favorite Disney horse. Being a grandmother to a little boy who adores Spiderman, I had no idea about all the princesses & their horses.
Mom added Thumper and a tree.
So I did a sample rendering on watercolor paper, emailed it to them, and headed over Saturday for a fun day of painting.
First step was to chalk out the horses & trees. I love using chalk rather than pencil because it erases so easily. I just recently started using chalk and it saves me loads of time.
Cinderella’s horse is a mixture of white, grey & a hint of dusty purple.
Belle’s horse is a warm brown. I didn’t notice his swayback until I saw these pictures. Keep that in mind when you’re painting something – take a picture to review. It helps you to get a different perspective. When you’re standing there working, in the space, you just don’t see as many imperfections as you do in a photograph.
I’ll have to fix his swayback later. I think I’ll just make the trunk of the tree a little wider. Adding is always easier than erasing – especially with paint.
People always ask me how to paint a tree – which eventually I’ll make a video on. I use about 3 or 4 different colors and just blend them all on the wall.
For the foliage I took a mini roller with 2 shades of green and just went to town! Rollers cover large spaces quicker & you have a little bit of control with the amount of pressure you apply when rolling.
I finished off the foliage with just little strokes of medium green in slight leaf shapes. Then I added the trunk & Thumper.
I still need to add the detailing on the animals – the eyelashes, paws, etc. And I’ll fill in the flowers with pinks, purples, blues & yellows to complete the mural.
On the adjacent wall we decided to add a flowing pink banner and blue songbirds.
I just chalked it in because I ran out of steam.
It was a fun day. Having two little girls running in frequently to see their horses made it all the more special.